Festival of the Moon & Sun. ScrapFest. Old Town Oktoberfest.
These are the ‘signature events’ held by the Old Town Commercial Association (OTCA) each year to help raise money and excitement for all things Old Town Lansing.
The neighborhood would not be such a vibrant, fun place to be if it weren’t for the people who come out to festivals, volunteer for community events or give of their time and money to keep us keeping on.
If you’d like to get involved, here’s how:
As festival season starts heating up in Old Town, we have plenty of opportunities for you to volunteer. From Chalk of the Town to Scrapfest to Festival of the Moon and Sun, none of these events could happen without our dedicated volunteers. The events below are in need of volunteers, click the links or check back soon to sign up.
- Chalk of the Town, June 3 –Artists will take to the streets of Old Town creating masterpieces on the sidewalk using only chalk. Volunteers are needed for a morning shift, 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m., to set up chalk spaces, check in artists, set up the kids area and various other set up duties. During the afternoon shift from 12:30-5 p.m., volunteers will assist visitors, hand out prizes and help with any clean up.
- Festival of the Moon & Sun, June 23-24 (link coming soon) – Volunteers are needed for setup, take down and during both days of the festival for fun tasks like selling tickets, promoting merchandise and pouring beverages. This event will have live music, great food and excellent drinks to keep the excitement going.
- Old Town ScrapFest, July 14-15 (link coming soon) – This event is all about reusing old scrap, through a special collaboration with Friedland Industries right here in Old Town. Volunteers are needed from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday for set up; evening volunteers are needed for the information table and host duties. Saturday shifts include set up, working the in the education area and the information table. A cleanup shift is also needed Sunday from 9 a.m. to noon.
Consider Old Town events for your next team-building or group volunteering experience. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to be added to the list.
Become a Member
For as low as $25, you can join the OTCA in our mission to keep Old Town vibrant. Whether you decide to purchase an individual or business membership, you will receive the Old Town discount card – including awesome discounts at many small businesses – and our monthly newsletter.
- Individual membership – $25 per person, $10 for students
- Business membership – starting at $50 for startups, $100 for non-profits
- Property owner membership – starting at $100
Members also receive $5 off festival tickets, so visit otca.wildapricot.org/join-us or contact the office to sign up and save!
As we approach the summer festival season in Old Town, our need for your support grows. From family-friendly events such as Chalk of the Town and ArtFeast to our signature events, none of these could happen without the support of our sponsors. The events below have sponsorship opportunities still available.
- Chalk of the Town, June 3 – Artists will take to the streets in Old Town, creating masterpieces on the sidewalk using only chalk. Sponsors have the opportunity to place their company name and logo on ballots, posters, social media, website, signage and event promotion – and could even participate as a guest judge.
- ScrapFest, July 14-15 – Old Town ScrapFest is a one-of-a-kind festival that celebrates art, creativity and resource reuse. Up to 20 teams of artists have one hour to collect up to 500 pounds of scrap from Friedland Industries right here in Old Town and just two week to create an up-cycled masterpiece to display at the festival. Sponsors have the opportunity to have their name and logo on all posters, social media, website, signage and event promotion. Additional sponsorship levels include a “scrapified” metal version of your company logo or a 2017 OTCA business membership.
We hope we can count on your or your company’s support of these great events.
For more information about volunteering, membership or sponsorship, visit otca.wildapricot.org or contact our office at 517.485.4283. You may also email OTCA Executive Director Vanessa Shafer at email@example.com.