With a focus on the farmers market, a new community garden, and neighborhood safety, the newly formed Residents of Old Town (ROOT) group was formed in 2010 by Old Town resident, volunteer, and all-around selfless lady, Jenelle Jagmin. Jagmin, a former OTCA Organizations Committee member, saw a hole in the issues the Org Committee handled, and those were all the topics she was most passionate and concerned about.
So with the approval of the Board, a milestone in Mainstreet history was met when a fifth committee was formed under the umbrella of the OTCA. Meeting once a month, as all four committees do, the ROOT group gathered to brainstorm issues and topics that were most pressing for those people who live, work, and love Old Town. With a focus on the sustainability and safety of Old Town and its residents, the ROOT group tackled 2010 with gusto and concluded the year with a few notable achievements:
- Creation of the first ever community garden in Old Town (across from SuCasa & Preuss Pets on Cedar St). Volunteers planted, watered, and maintained the garden through the summer months, and enjoyed the harvest when crops were ready for picking.
- Meeting with local police regularly to discuss neighborhood safety and continued watch of the Old Town district
- Staffing and running the Farmers Market the first Sunday of every month from May through October. The market welcomes approximately ten farmers each month, and serves as the only fresh food source within the immediate Old Town boundaries.
- Hosting neighborhood mixers to stay connected with others who live in Old Town, as well as to discuss current issues for residents.
- Volunteering and supporting the tenth annual Compassionate Feast Thanksgiving event.
The OTCA congratulates the ROOT group on a successful year in 2010, and looks forward to and exciting new year. For those interested in getting involved, the ROOT group meets on the fourth Thursday of every month at 7pm in the OTCA office, located at 1232 Turner Street. All are welcome. Call 517.485.4283 for more information.