A Progressive Transition: GLHC moves to former School for the Blind

After 19 years of operation in the house located at 1017 W. Lapeer Street in Lansing, the Greater Lansing Housing Coalition has moved into its first professional office building, located in the former library of the School for the Blind.

“We are excited to be in the building and we hope people will take advantage of our services,” said Katherine Draper, Interim Executive Director of the GLHC.

The GLHC is devoted to revitalizing neighborhoods and providing quality, affordable housing to low and moderate income families. The organization hopes that their relocation will encourage others to move to the area, as all buildings on the campus are options for renovation.

The library, now known as the Neighborhood Empowerment Center, is equipped with three conference rooms and a training lab, among other spaces.

In addition to wanting to increase the development of the former campus, the GLHC hopes to create a center that provides easily accessible resources in a friendly environment. Thus, any nonprofit organization or community group interested in human services, community development or housing services are invited to use the facility with an advanced reservation.

 The building was renovated to be energy efficient and has even been certified in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. This development was funded in part by the state of Michigan and the Michigan State Housing Development Authority.

Community members are encouraged to stop by for a tour the facility. The GLHC currently has 700 square feet of rental space available within the center. Preference will be given to nonprofit organizations that have a community based mission. For more information, visit www.glhc.org or call 517.372.5980.